The Contractor should not be authorized to proceed, nor should payment be approved, until the contract is fully executed (signed by all parties). Departmental administrator responsibility for contracts include the following:
- verifying that the Contractor or Vendor complies with all of the terms and conditions of the agreement
- ensuring that all services have been received or rendered and have been delivered satisfactorily prior to authorizing payment
- ensuring that any revenue generated pursuant to the terms of the business contract are paid to the University.
If the departmental administrator receives certificates of insurance, worker's compensation insurance, or performance bond certificates they should be forwarded to the Office of the VPBA.
Procedure for Submitting Business Contracts to be Reviewed, Approved, and Executed by the Vice President for Business Affairs
- Submit a cover memo on your department letterhead that includes the following:
- a brief description of the proposed services
- contract start dates, end dates, and renewal options
- a statement indicating your assurance that you have read the contract and concur with the terms and conditions and that it is in the best interest of the University to enter into the agreement or contract
- amount of contract or an estimated "not to exceed" amount Note: Please be aware that if you have a services contract in which the total cost, including variable expenses, will exceed $25,000, you will need to contact your designated buyer in the Purchasing Office for further review of competitive bidding requirements
- if the project will produce revenue, please provide an estimated revenue amount
- the account to be used to pay for services and verification of available funding
- the name and telephone number of an individual in your department who is familiar with the proposed agreement in the event there are questions
- any other relevant information that will assist this office in the contract review
- Click here to view a sample cover memo
- Provide a minimum of three (3) originals of the agreement. After being fully executed, one copy each will be retained by the contractor, the initiating department, and the VPBA's Office.
- Certain agreements that do not conform to the standard agreements previously approved by the UT System Office of General Counsel (OGC) will require their review and approval, which may delay the contract approval process. All contracts must comply with University Policies, University of Texas (UT) System Regents’ Rules, and UT System Business Procedure Memoranda. The Office of the VPBA considers OGC General Procedure Contract Checklist, Business Procedure Memoranda, and Regents’ Rules in reviewing all contracts.
- Once the review is complete, the agreement will be signed by the VPBA, and you will be notified for further handling as follows:
- negotiating any required revisions with the contractor; or
- obtaining the contractor's signature and initials of any required changes to the original agreement; or
- returning a fully executed agreement to the other party for their records
If the Contractor will not agree to the required changes, please contact this office for assistance in negotiating the changes.
- Once the Contractor has signed the agreement and initiated any required revisions, please return one fully executed original to the Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs located in the Administration Building, Suite 301.
Back to Contracts Procedures