My Desktop Remote Software Access
MyDesktop.UTEP.edu is a web-based system which provides students, faculty, and staff access to many software applications 24 hours a day, seven days a week from virtually any computer with an Internet connection, regardless to location. Users are now able to run UTEP approved software applications from both UTEP computers as well as from their personally owned computers. Since its implementation this “campus computer lab in the cloud” now ranks fourth place in total number of user logins among all of UTEP’s academic computer labs.
Benefits / Features
- NEW! Applications Tab lets you open just one application from your browser without having to launch a virtual desktop.
- MyDesktop is accessible from any computer with internet connectivity, regardless of which operating system is installed.
- Users can print wirelessly to academic computer lab printers (with a release station) from MyDesktop without having to install any printer drivers.
- Students can use their own laptops to access MyDesktop and can plug in using many new mobile computing areas all over campus.
- Specialized software is often available from any lab or personal computer, not just the specialized labs to which the software was once restricted.
- Since users login to MyDesktop with their UTEP credentials, no additional login (such as VPN remote access) is required when connecting from off campus.
To Access My Desktop
MyDesktop can be accessed by logging into MyUTEP. You will find the MyDesktop button in the My Online Services module of the My.Home tab or in any browser window simply type in
If you know how to log into a computer and use it (as if you were in a physical lab here on campus) then you already know how to use MyDesktop. If you need assistance logging in, or printing and saving files from MyDesktop, please view the tutorials below. Below you will also find instructions for using MyDesktop on a Mac or Linux computer.
TRAINING - For hands on help getting started or using MyDesktop, see the Technology Support workshop schedule.
How to Log In
How to Print to a Laptop
How to Save Files to the M: Drive
How to Work with Linux Client for MyDesktop
(For Linux Users - To get out of full screen mode, we used (on Ubuntu) Ctrl-F2 , Alt F9. This minimizes the virtual desktop.)
Installing on Linux
Installing on Mac with Safari
Installing on Mac with Firefox<
FAQs - Get answers to the most frequently asked questions at Solutions - MyDesktop.
For any other MyDesktop question, issue, or for further assistance enter details at Request Help - MyDesktop. Just login with your UTEP username and password.
There is no cost for active students, staff or faculty.
Students who are admitted and registered, or within one year of their last attendance may utilize this online service. Admission must be complete and active to access this resource. Faculty and staff may access use MyDesktop by logging in with their UTEP username and password.