This procedure is issued to provide university departments with guidance when issuing a Purchase Order via Miner Mall. In order to access Miner Mall, you must be a UTEP employee, with an Active Job Appointment. To Log In, you must enter your Single Sign-On User Name and Password.
This procedure is issued in accordance with The University of Texas at El Paso Procurement Operating Procedures.
Following is a general overview of the Miner Mall training.
- Monthly Training is available to all interested employees and New Hires. For a List of Upcoming Classes visit the Human Resources Training and Development website: https://admin.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=555.
- Departments have the delegated authority to create an Electronic Purchase Requisition via Miner Mall for purchases ranging from $.01 to $1,000.00 including shipping and / or handling fees. Once Purchase Requisition is submitted, it is electronically routed to Department Approvers for final approval. Once all necessary approvals are obtained, an Official Purchase Order is automatically generated and forwarded to Supplier via e-mail or fax delivery.
- For purchases ranging from $1,000.01 to $14,999.99, an Electronic Purchase Requisition must be created in Miner Mall. The department must obtain a quote and must be electronically attached to the Requisition. The requisition is routed electronically to the Department Approver designated Department Buyer. The Buyer will determine the award and issue the Purchase Order to the awarded Supplier.
- For purchases ranging from $15,000 to $49,999.99, an Electronic Purchase Requisition must be created in Miner Mall. The department must obtain a minimum of three quotes (two must be from a HUB vendor) and all quotes must be electronically attached to the Requisition. The requisition is routed electronically to the designated Department Buyer. The Buyer reviews the quotes and decides if additional quotes are required. The Buyer will determine the award and issue the Purchase Order to the awarded Supplier.
- For purchases $50,000 and greater an official solicitation is required. The Buyer will use the competitive solicitation process that provides the best value for the University. The Buyer will then evaluate bids received by Best Value Criteria to determine the award to Supplier. Buyer will then route Official Purchase Order to the awarded Supplier.
- Other functions in Miner Mall include:
- View existing purchase orders
- Search for outstanding and completed orders
- View copy of invoice
- Create change orders
- If you have any questions regarding the use of Miner Mall, please contact your purchasing representative or call ext. 5601. To contact your Buyer, please see “Who's My Buyer?” https://admin.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=68363
This administrative procedure applies to all university departments.
Miner Mall - Miner Mall is an electronic procurement marketplace that is the University’s tool for the issuance, approval and payment processing of all University Purchase Orders.
Shopper - An individual who can shop and create a cart within the Miner Mall application. All UTEP employees are considered a "shopper".
Creator - An individual who has the capability of a Shopper and also finalizes the cart prior to approval. The Creator enters the proper accounting codes and other pertinent information. These roles are mainly assigned to administrative assistants, coordinators, supervisors, etc.
Approver - An individual that is responsible for ensuring the purchase requisition is allowable, allocable and reasonable. These roles are mainly assigned to the account owners such as the PI, department chairs, directors, managers etc.
Cart - The cart in Miner Mall is in essence your purchase requisition. Once approved, your cart will become your purchase order.
Assistant Vice President, Purchasing & General Services
Last Updated: July 6, 2016
Back to Business Process Guidelines