Foreign Travel


To establish guidelines and procedures for all University faculty, staff and students while traveling abroad.


University foreign travel policy will reimburse expenses based on the U.S. Department of State per diem tables. Compliance with the Fly America Act is also required when traveling on federal grant funds. Participation in the International Emergency Assistance Program (International SOS) is mandatory.


All University faculty, staff, and students must comply with the following:

  1. Review Department of State Travel Warnings to determine whether the destination requires approval by the International Oversight Committee (IOC)
  2. Travel Authorization
    • Create 45 days prior to travel
  3. Reservation for rental cars
  4. Reservation for hotel rooms
  5. Airline reservations
  6. Exchange of funds when traveling on State accounts (ie: 14 Cost Centers)
    • Includes Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, Canada, and U.S. Possessions
  7. Lodging reimbursement is based on the U.S. Department of State per diem tables
    • Detailed commercial lodging receipt is required
    • If actual lodging expense exceeds per diem, the overage may be reimbursed on a local account at the discretion of the department
  8. Meals and incidental expenses are reimbursed based on the U.S. Department of State per diem tables
  9. Travel expenses must be converted to U.S. dollars using internet currency conversion calculator
  10. Compliance with federal "Fly America Act" when traveling on federal grant funds
    • U.S. flag carriers must be used when booking airfare to a foreign country
    • Please contact the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects if you have any questions
  11. Enrollment in the International SOS program is mandatory for all international travelers.


Applies to all University faculty, staff and students traveling to a foreign country on official University business.

Responsible Party


Last Updated: August 18, 2016

Back to Business Process Guidelines

Hover here, then click toolbar to edit content
  • The University of Texas at El Paso.
  • 500 West University Avenue,
  • El Paso, Texas 79968
  • (915) 747-5000