Travel Expenses


To inform University faculty, staff and students of allowable reimbursable expenditures incurred while traveling on University business.


The University complies with guidelines adopted by the Texas State Comptroller. This section lists reimbursable and non-reimbursable incidental travel expenses. In accordance with Internal Revenue Service guidelines, meal and lodging expenses will not be reimbursed without an overnight stay.


Reimbursable Expenses

A state employee is entitled to be reimbursed for the following expenses if they are incurred for an official business reason.

  1. Commercial Lodging Establishments (excluding Texas State occupancy taxes)
  2. Rental car (including gas)
  3. Registration Fees paid by the traveler
  4. Parking
  5. Public Transportation
  6. Phone and Internet if used for business purposes (please add to PeopleSoft Expense Report document notes)
  7. Local Mileage to and from UTEP/ELP Airport 

Maximum  domestic per diem meal allowances vary throughout the continental United States. The department may reimburse up to the maximum per diem meal allowance established by the state. Maximum allowances can be accessed by using the GSA website.  The meal per diem allowance is calculated on a fractional day’s basis.  This is generally the first and last days of a trip as indicated on the travel authorization.  The University will reimburse 75% of the total meal daily rate regardless of the departure or arrival time for the first and last day of travel.

Note:  Meal and lodging expenses will not be reimbursed without an overnight stay.

Non-reimbursable Expenses

The following expenses are a partial list of items that are not reimbursable, regardless of whether or not they were incurred while conducting official business:  

  1. Alcoholic beverages;
  2. Any expense, with the exception of parking and toll expenses, which is related to the operation of a personally owned or leased motor vehicle (Rented Conveyance);
  3. Excess baggage charges for personal belongings;
  4. Personal expenses, such as the rental or purchase of personal entertainment;
  5. Kennel expenses for a pet; and
  6. Dry cleaning or laundry (if travel is less than 5 business days).
Note:  Meal and lodging expenses will not be reimbursed without an overnight stay.


Applies to all University faculty, staff and students traveling on official business.

Responsible Party


Last Updated: July 5, 2016

Back to Business Process Guidelines

Hover here, then click toolbar to edit content
  • The University of Texas at El Paso.
  • 500 West University Avenue,
  • El Paso, Texas 79968
  • (915) 747-5000