Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Main Content

Where are you located and how do I get there?

We are located at 3120 Sun Bowl Drive, in the Physical Plant Complex. The building is located near the corner of Sun Bowl and Kern, next to the UTEP Police Department. Visitor parking is available.

What kinds of services do you offer?

Facilities Services include repair and maintenance of campus buildings, keys and electronic access, cleaning, moving, waste collection and pest control, as well as support to events, research and other operations.

What are your hours of operation?

We are open Monday through Friday from 8AM to 5PM. If you need emergency assistance outside office hours or in the weekend, please contact Campus Police at (915) 747-5611.

How can I request your services?

You can submit an electronic request through our Service Desk.

The room temperature is too high or too low, can you fix it?

Yes. Keep in mind that UTEP has a temperature set-back policy that standardizes building temperatures to remain at 70 degrees when the mean daily temperature is 70 or less and 73 degrees when the mean daily temperature is greater than 70 (with exceptions for specialized facilities and labs).

I’m planning an event but I’m not sure what I need; what do I do?

Contact us, our customer service representatives will help you figure out how we can help you have a successful event.

How far in advance should I request assistance for my event?

Please contact us at least two weeks before the date of the event. There is limited equipment, so plan early to ensure it is available and that work can be completed within the required timeframe.

Do you rent items such as tables, chairs, shades, etc.?

We do not charge for the rental of equipment if it is available in our inventory. Any equipment not available will be rented via third-party suppliers and billed directly to the department organizing the event. We do, however, charge for labor.

What do I do if I’m stuck in an elevator?

Do not panic! Remain calm and use the in-car emergency phone to call for help. A technician will be dispatched as quickly as possible to correct the problem and get you back on your way. DO NOT attempt to exit the elevator by yourself, wait for a trained technician to assist you. Passengers may be inconvenienced by this delay but will be much safer in the cab as opposed to exposing themselves to the dangers of moving equipment in open hoist ways.

Can I rent a vehicle from the Motor Pool?

Motor Pool vehicles are available to licensed University employees while on official University business. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis, so plan ahead. When you make your request, include the destination, driver information, date and time the vehicle is needed and date and time of return. Billing is by inter-departmental transfer of funds.

What if I need gas?

A gasoline credit card will be provided, valid at most major gas stations. Look for the credit card logo sticker on the gas pump or ask if they accept the credit card before refueling. Refuel at self-service islands only, do not use full service.

Can I use the Motor Pool credit card to purchase other items?

No. You are authorized to use the credit card for gas purchase only, do not attempt to use the card to purchase beverages, snacks or any other items.

What if the Motor Pool vehicle breaks down or if I have an accident?

If an accident or a breakdown occur, call the Motor Pool or the University Police as soon as possible. Insurance and accident forms are in the white notebook with every Motor Pool vehicle. Authorization must be obtained before proceeding with any repair work with the vehicle. For minor repair work, you may be authorized to proceed with the work and pay for the repair costs yourself. You will be reimbursed for all personal payments of repair work to your vehicle. For major repair work, the Motor Pool office will determine the best course of action and inform the driver.

Can I travel to Mexico in a UTEP vehicle from the Motor Pool?

Before traveling to Mexico in a Motor Pool vehicle, you must provide a copy of the INS forms and Mexico insurance documents. These forms must be maintained in the vehicle during your trip.

I saw a bug, can you spray the building?

Not all insects, weeds and other living organisms require control, many are innocuous and some even beneficial. However, if you believe there is a pest problem contact us and we will evaluate the situation and determine the best course of action.

What kinds of materials can be recycled?

Materials accepted for recycling include:

  • White paper (copy paper, envelops, business cards)
  • Shredded paper (must be bagged)
  • Colored paper (paper fiber is dyed)
  • Newspapers and magazines
  • Books, including phone books, catalogs, spiral and comb notebooks
  • Cardboard (flattened empty boxes)
  • Printer cartridges (place in new cartridge packaging)
  • Plastic bottles

Materials not accepted:

  • Paper ream wrappers, blue prints, glass and metal
  • Facial tissue, napkins and paper towels
  • Padded envelops and plastic wrap
  • Foil, mylar paper or carbon paper
  • Candy or gum wrappers, food containers and trash

What is surplus?

Surplus in the context of warehouse management, is equipment and furniture that is no longer needed by the department that purchased it. We collect this surplus and redistribute it to other departments; when property is no longer useful to the University it is disposed of or auctioned.

How can I arrange a surplus pick-up and how long does it take?

Departments on campus can request a surplus pick-up by filling out a Property Transfer form. The pick-up usually takes 5 business days.

How can I acquire surplus property for my department?

Surplus property can be redistributed to departments on campus and will be delivered free of charge. Viewing of surplus takes place every Tuesday and Thursday between 1PM and 4PM.

Can I personally purchase surplus property at UTEP Public Auctions?

The public, University employees and students are welcome to purchase property during auctions. These are typically held the first Saturday of every quarter. Campus bulletins are sent to the UTEP community the Thursday prior to every auction.

Back to Top
  • The University of Texas at El Paso.
  • 500 West University Avenue,
  • El Paso, Texas 79968
  • (915) 747-5000