Skip to main content

Motor Pool

Main Content

Motor Pool

The University Motor Pool rents vehicles for official University business. We currently have 12 vehicles in the Motor Pool inventory. To reserve a vehicle, submit a vehicle reservation request through the Service Desk. Vehicle reservations are made on a first come first served basis.

Motor Pool Vehicle Use

  • Only a licensed University employee while on official University business may drive a University vehicle.
  • University employees who may be called upon to drive a University vehicle shall have a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check as required by the University of Texas System Business Procedures Memorandum 16-05-02 and shall be assigned a driver rating, refer to the University's MVR Procedures Memorandum for further guidance.
  • ALL passengers must wear seat belts. It is the driver's responsibility to insure all passengers are aware of and adhere to this policy.
  • Smoking is not allowed at any time in University vehicles.
  • Pets and animals of any kind are not allowed in University vehicles.
  • Prior approval to travel into Mexico in a University vehicle while on University business must be obtained before a motor pool vehicle can be checked out. Refer to the Mexico Insurance Procedures memorandum for further guidance.

Picking Up Your Vehicle

  • Only the University employee designated as the driver for the vehicle in the reservation can pick up the keys.
  • You must bring your valid driver's license in order to pick up the vehicle.
  • Obtain the vehicle key pack, keys and white vehicle notebook from the Motor Pool office.
  • Locate the vehicle issued to you by the vehicle number on the key pack. All Motor Pool vehicles are parked in the parking lot at the Facilities Services building.
  • We have very limited visitor parking, but paid public parking is available across the street.
  • Inspect the assigned vehicle for potential mechanical and operating problems before departing. This would include an outside examination of the body, and inspection of the tires, lights, wipers, etc. The driver should report any warning light indication, or other potential problem to the Motor Pool office before departing.
  • After receiving the keys, check the white notebook to ensure it contains a credit card for gasoline purchases.
  • Note: This credit card is valid at most major gas stations. At service stations, look for the credit card logo sticker on the gas pump, or ask if they accept the credit card before refueling. A list of gas stations that accept the credit card is included in the white notebook. You are authorized to use the credit card for gasoline purchases only. Do not attempt to use the card to purchase beverages, snacks, etc.
  • Refuel at self-serve islands only. DO NOT USE FULL SERVICE.

Using Your Motor Pool Vehicle

  • Check all gauges and heed all warning lights and indicators if indicated during your trip.
  • Check the oil level at all gas stops and periodically check other fluid levels especially on extended trips. All fluids will have been checked before your departure, however, it is the driver’s responsibility to maintain correct fluid levels during the trip.
  • Maintain a full tank of gas, or an ample amount for your destination
  • Note: All vehicles run on regular unleaded gasoline.
  • Record all gas stops and oil and coolant additions in the vehicle's Fluid Record book. The mileage reading and hour meter reading must also be recorded in the vehicle's Fluid Record book at each gas stop. List any problems in the last column of the Fluid Record book and also note on the mileage log in the white notebook
  • If a breakdown occurs while on the road, call the Motor Pool office or, if after hours, the University Police Department at 915-747-5611.
  • You must notify the Motor Pool and obtain authorization before proceeding with any repair work to your vehicle.
  • For minor repair work, you may be authorized to proceed with the work and pay for the repair costs yourself. You will be reimbursed for all personal payments of repair work to your vehicle.
  • For major repair work, the Motor Pool office will determine the best course of action and inform the driver.
  • If an accident occurs, call the Motor Pool or the University Police as soon as possible. Insurance and Accident forms are in the notebook.
  • When returning the vehicle to the Motor Pool, remove all liter and personal belongings, close all windows, and lock all doors. Return the vehicle keys and vehicle notebook with the completed mileage log to the Motor Pool office. If outside of business hours, you can park the vehicle at the visitors' parking lot and drop the keys at the orange drop box
  • The cost center or project ID provided in the electronic request will be billed for applicable vehicle rental fees.
  • Refuel at self-serve islands only. DO NOT USE FULL SERVICE.
Back to Top
  • The University of Texas at El Paso.
  • 500 West University Avenue,
  • El Paso, Texas 79968
  • (915) 747-5000